White House had big plans to promote serial wife beater Rob Porter before his history went public

Campaign Action

Rob Porter was so exemplary, he was up for a promotion. That news came just after FBI Director Christopher Wray confirmed Tuesday during testimony that the White House knew for months about the former staff secretary’s history of domestic violence. Nonetheless, he was in “serious discussions” to take on bigger roles in Donald Trump’s West Wing, writes CNN:

Porter had been actively lobbying to take on new policy portfolios outside the traditional scope of the staff secretary, one person familiar with the matter said, which included speechwriting duties and a role in planning policy rollouts. Neither of those tasks is traditionally carried out by the staff secretary.

One of the areas Porter was set to delve further into was trade policy, according to the person. Porter was a regular attendee at a weekly trade meeting among top-level administration officials.

He was also being considered for the deputy chief of staff position, another source familiar with the situation said.

John Kelly was reportedly one of Porter’s biggest fans and wanted to be sure he was “being used to his full potential.”

Kelly “definitely wanted to expand his role,” a source familiar tells CNN.

Trump will almost surely have someone’s head over this, as he doesn’t look kindly on bad press generated by others. He prefers being he sole source of his own humiliation.

As the fallout from the Porter scandal has stretched into a new week at the White House, a frustrated President Donald Trump has spent his days phoning allies and associates for advice on how to handle negative coverage, sources familiar with the conversations say.

Trump’s also got that sads that the main focus of his “agenda” might be hampered by the exit of key abusers on his staff.

He is particularly concerned with advancing his immigration proposals, a policy objective that has been helmed by Kelly.

And by “immigration proposals,” he means “deportations.” 

Shakespeare Love! Tom Hanks and Wife Rita Wilson to Unite on Stage for Henry IV

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson are taking their love to the main stage.

The actors will be starring in the Shakespeare Center of Los Angeles’s production of Henry IV this summer — the first time the two will star together on a play. Hanks is making his L.A. stage debut for the show, which will see him embody Sir John Falstaff.

The play will run from June 5 to July 1 at the Japanese garden on the Veterans Affairs’ West Los Angeles campus. Wilson’s role has yet to be revealed. The married couple has worked with the Shakespeare Center of Los Angeles before and have participated in their Simply Shakespeare readings for 26 years.

“I wish there was a secret, you know. We just like each other. You start there,” Hanks previously said about what it takes for a successful marriage. The two will celebrate their 30th anniversary this year.

“I still can’t believe my wife goes out with me,” he added. “If we were in high school and I was just funny, I’d never have the courage to talk to her.”

RELATED VIDEO: Tom Hanks Has a Great Idea for Channing Tatum’s ‘Splash’ Remake!

Hanks, who is currently starring as legendary newspaperman Ben Bradlee in Steven Spielberg’s The Post, said marriage to Wilson has been easy.

“They say it must be hard work. No it’s not,” Hanks said. “Every now and again you know, you gotta get over some stuff but life is one damn thing after another and its actually more pleasant to be able to go home with someone you like to spend time with in order to get with it.”

Trump’s VA Secretary Used Taxpayer Dollars To Take His Wife On A European Vacation

This is part of a pattern of members of the administration – up to and including the president himself – using their positions for their own personal benefit.

The post Trump’s VA Secretary Used Taxpayer Dollars To Take His Wife On A European Vacation appeared first on Politicus USA.

Donald Trump Jr. Says His Wife and Children Are Safe After 'Disturbing' White Powder Scare

Donald Trump Jr. took to Twitter Monday afternoon to confirm that his wife, Vanessa, and five young children are safe after the family received a suspicious letter containing a white, powdery substance earlier in the day.

“Thankful that Vanessa & my children are safe and unharmed after the incredibly scary situation that occurred this morning,” President Trump’s oldest son tweeted. “Truly disgusting that certain individuals choose to express their opposing views with such disturbing behavior.”

Trump Jr.’s sister Ivanka also tweeted about the incident, writing, “Thinking of @MrsVanessaTrump & wishing I was by her side today. No one deserves to be frightened this way. There is no excuse.”

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

Vanassa, a former model who was crowned Miss USA in 2004, was reportedly hospitalized on Monday after opening the letter addressed to her husband at their Manhattan apartment, NBC News and other outlets reported.

A spokeswoman for the NYPD’s office of the Deputy Commissioner of Public Information confirmed to PEOPLE that Trump Jr.’s family received a letter containing a powdery substance that was tested and proven to be non-hazardous.

The spokeswoman said three people were taken to a local hospital for observation but could not confirm their names.

According to NBC News, senior law enforcement and city officials said Trump Jr.’s wife was taken to New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center “strictly as a precaution.” The outlet also reported that “there is no indication anyone suffered any injuries.”

Law enforcement sources who spoke with the New York Post said Vanessa Trump opened the letter at 10 a.m. at an East 54th Street apartment in Manhattan’s Sutton Place neighborhood.

In March 2016, amid President Trump’s campaign, his son Eric also received a threatening letter containing a white powder substance. Eric’s wife, Lara, opened the letter and called the police. The FBI and the NYPD investigated the incident and determined that the white substance was not hazardous.

Donald Trump Jr.’s Family Receives White Powder in the Mail; Wife Vanessa Reportedly Hospitalized

President Trump’s daughter-in-law was taken to a Manhattan hospital as a precaution on Monday after she was exposed to a white, powdery substance when she opened a suspicious letter addressed to her husband, Donald Trump Jr., several news outlets are reporting.

A spokeswoman for the NYPD’s office of the Deputy Commissioner of Public Information confirmed to PEOPLE that Trump Jr.’s family received a letter containing a powdery substance that was tested and proven to be non hazardous.

The spokeswoman said three people were taken to a local hospital for observation but could not confirm their names.

NBC News reported that, according to senior law enforcement and city officials, Trump Jr.’s wife, Vanessa, was taken to New York Presbyterian-Weill Cornell Medical Center “strictly as a precaution” after a suspicious letter containing an unidentified substance was sent to the couple’s apartment in Manhattan.

 

NBC News said the letter was addressed to Trump Jr., the eldest child of the president and his ex-wife Ivana. The outlet also reported that “there is no indication anyone suffered any injuries.”

According to law enforcement sources who spoke with the New York Post, Vanessa Trump opened the letter at 10 a.m. at an East 54th Street apartment in Manhattan’s Sutton Place neighborhood.

Michael Phelps, Wife Nicole and Son Boomer Celebrate Their Upcoming Addition at Baby Shower

Michael Phelps and wife Nicole are anxiously waiting for their “baby shark.”

The swimmer, 32, celebrated the upcoming arrival of the couple’s second child with a baby shower on Sunday. He shared a photo holding 21-month-old son Boomer Robert and standing next to Nicole, whose growing belly was on display in a fitted green dress and sleeveless beige cover-up.

“Thanks to those who came to celebrate today!!” Phelps captioned the family photo, adding the hashtag #babyshark, which guests used to share their snaps. (Perhaps it’s a reference to the 28-time Olympic medalist racing a shark as part of Discovery Channel Shark Week?)

Nicole, also 32, posted a sweet shot of her husband with his hand on her bump. “Such an amazing day celebrating our #babyshark!!” she wrote. “More photos to come … we are so thankful for everyone who was able to be with us and everyone who was with us in spirit.”

Want all the latest pregnancy and birth announcements, plus celebrity mom blogs? Click here to get those and more in the PEOPLE Babies newsletter.

RELATED VIDEO: Michael Phelps and Wife Nicole Expecting Second Child

For more coverage, follow our babies magazine on Flipboard.

In August, the couple announced in matching social media posts that they are expecting again.

“Number 2 on the way!!!! So excited!! Wonder if it’s a boy or a girl??” Phelps wrote alongside a photo of Boomer clutching a pregnancy test while snuggled up in his mom’s arms.

Phelps and the former Miss California USA welcomed Boomer in May 2016. They wed later that year – twice! First, the pair tied the knot in June, and then again in late October during a larger event in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

RELATED GALLERY: 50 Aww-worthy Pics of Michael Phelps’ Baby Son Boomer

Phelps previously revealed to PEOPLE that his wife was looking forward to growing their family, sharing, “Nicole has recently brought up that she would like a girl!”

“We definitely want more kids, it just depends on when,” he added, noting “I’m sure I’m getting pressure” and teasing, “ trying to get moving on some things!”

In another interview, the athlete further told PEOPLE of more children, “We are so fortunate to have a healthy and happy baby and hopefully more coming soon, but we don’t know when.”

“We’re going through life every day happy and blessed with what we have. But I hope to have more kids in the future,” Phelps explained.